El Dorado News Times Logo
Today's Paper Coronavirus Weather Obits Community Calendar Readers' Choice: Best of the Best Newsletters App FAQ National Archives Puzzles Circulars

Two arrested on terroristic threatening charges

by Tia Lyons | May 4, 2021 at 4:00 a.m.
Police sirens.

Two people appeared Monday in 35th Judicial District Court on similar charges stemming from separate incidents that were reported over the weekend.

Bond was set at $10,000 for Sherea R. Jones, 31, of El Dorado, who was arrested May 1 for residential burglary, a felony offense, and misdemeanor charges of two counts of violation of a no-contact order, first-degree criminal mischief and third-degree assault on a family or household member.

Jones was also arrested on warrants for failure to comply on an original felony charge of terroristic threatening and violation of a no-contact order.

A bond of $5,000 was issued during a first appearance hearing Monday for Jimmy Tate, 58, also of El Dorado.

Tate was arrested May 1 on felony charges of aggravated assault on a family or household member and first-degree terroristic threatening in an unrelated incident that was reported several hours after Jones was arrested.

At 7:30 p.m. May 1, officers responded to a report of a disturbance at a residence in the 1600 block of Lauri Avenue.

A man told officers that his girlfriend’s mother and sister had said Tate, the mother’s boyfriend, “was being aggressive and pointing a weapon” at the residence.

The complainant said they had taken a gun away from Tate during the incident and the group led officers to the back porch, where police recovered a loaded handgun.

The daughter of Tate’s girlfriend told police that Tate had come to the residence earlier and left after an argument with her mother.

She said that when Tate returned later, another argument ensued and Tate brandished a handgun and pointed it at her mother.

The girl, 16, said she then intervened and Tate pointed the gun at her and issued a terroristic threat.

She said other people on the scene stepped in, leading to an altercation, during which they were able to take the gun away from Tate.

Police said the complainants, victims and witnesses all provided similar accounts of the incident.

• • •

Just after 10 p.m. April 30, officers responded to a report of suspicious activity that was captured on camera.

Jones told officers she saw a male on her camera, presumably a home-security video system.

While speaking with Jones about the matter, officers learned of active warrants for her arrest for failure to comply and violation of a no-contact order.

Jones was released on a citation to appear in district court.

Minutes later, officers were called to a residence in the 400 block of South Flenniken in reference to a burglary in progress.

A woman, the complainant in the no-contact order that had been issued against Jones, told officers that Jones was trying enter the residence and had used a candlestick holder to break a front window at the residence.

The complainant said that Jones had left the residence after she was arrested but returned after officers left the scene.

Police noted that they had advised Jones not to return to the South Flenniken residence.

The woman said that as she attempted to stop Jones from entering the residence, Jones repeated, “Wait ‘til I get in the house!” and ripped the mailbox from an exterior wall next to the front door.

Police said the bedroom window was shattered and broken glass was on the floor inside the residence.

A 10-year-old boy was present when the incident occurred, according to a police report.

Jones was taken into custody shortly after midnight and transported to the Union County jail, where she remained late Monday afternoon.


Sponsor Content


Recommended for you