Bring your water guns, swimsuits and pitching arms to downtown El Dorado Saturday as Main Street El Dorado and its sponsors prepare to end the summer with a bash.
“End-of-summer fun” will kick off at 8 a.m. Saturday with a day jam-packed with activities.
Grill Wars, Showdown at Sunset, Summer Concert Series, a Back To School Bash and Cruise Night are just a few activities that are planned throughout the day.
Admission and most activities are free.
The day will start at 8 a.m. with the MAD Farmers’ Market. At noon, the bulk of activities will shift two blocks north to the Union County Courthouse Square before returning to the MAD Amphitheater at 7 p.m. for the concert series, featuring rock and roll band Low Cut Connie as the headliner and opener Abby Lindsey, a rising country music artist.
The MAD Playscape will also be open during the day.
“Wet and Wild” is the unofficial theme of the Back to School Bash, which will begin at noon and will include variety of water-based activities.
The schedule for the day is:
• 8 a.m. until noon, MAD Farmers Market.
• Noon, Grill Wars, featuring an adult pizza competition and a children’s dessert pizza category, sponsored by PJ’s Coffee, The Spot and the El Dorado Creamery.
Main Street Pizza will also be selling pizza on the square.
• Noon until 6 p.m., Back to School Bash and family games.
The bash will include a water slide, water gunfights and a dunking booth. Participants are asked to bring their own water guns.
Participating in the dunking will be: Union County Judge Mike Loftin, 11 a.m. - noon; El Dorado High School football coach Steven Jones, noon - 1 p.m.; Bob Tarren, chief marketing officer for MAD, 1 - 2 p.m.; Mayor Veronica Smith-Creer, 2 - 3 p.m.; El Dorado Police Chief Kenny Hickman, 3 - 4 p.m.; Union County Sheriff Ricky Roberts, 4 - 5 p.m.; and El Dorado Fire Chief Chad Mosby, 5 - 6 p.m.
Prices are $2 per chance; $5 for three chances and $20 to push the button.
The booth will be set up in the area of Jefferson and Elm.
• 2 p.m., Baggo tournament.
• 3 - 7 p.m., Free horse and carriage rides.
• 4 p.m., Cruise Night car show.
• 4:30 p.m., Music on Main, featuring J. Edwards.
• 5:45 p.m., Entertainment by the South Arkansas Arts Center.
• 6:15 p.m., Showdown at Sunset, sponsored by the South Arkansas Historical Preservation Society.
• 7 p.m., Summer Concert Series.
For more information, call the Main Street El Dorado office at 870-862-4747.
Tia Lyons may be contacted at 870-862-6611 or [email protected]