Today's Paper Obits Weather Community Calendar
story.lead_photo.caption News-Times

An arrest warrant has been issued for an El Dorado man who has been identified as a suspect in a fatal shooting that occurred Sunday.

Ira Lavell Baker Jr., 25, of 1015 E. Taylor, is wanted in connection with a first-degree murder in the shooting death of 35-year-old Darris C. Davis, of Little Rock.

Davis died Sunday, having sustained a gunshot wound to the face in the incident that occurred at approximately 4:30 p.m. in the area of Stuart and Elm.

Another man — 29-year-old Dameon Westbrook of El Dorado — was shot in the thigh.

Westbrook’s injury was not life threatening. He was treated and released from the Medical Center of South Arkansas.

Baker has been identified as a suspect in the shooting.

He is described as a black male with a dark complexion, 6 feet, 1 inch tall and 200 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes.

Witnesses also described the shooter as having dreadlocks.

Capt. Kevin Holt, public information officer for the El Dorado Police Department, said investigators are searching for Baker.

“We don’t know where he is. We’re still putting things together as to where we think he might be,” Holt said.

He said additional arrests and charges are forthcoming for Baker and others who were on the scene and are believed to be involved in the incident.

“We’re already compiling information on additional charges. As the investigation continues, we’re collecting and processing evidence in anticipation of additional warrants,” Holt said.

Westbrook was arrested Sunday night in connection with a misdemeanor charge for hindering apprehension and prosecution related to the shooting.

He was released on a citation to appear in 35th Judicial District Court.

“He was taken into custody due to his failure to cooperate, not telling investigators what he witnessed,” Holt said.

Investigators spoke with Westbrook on Sunday at MCSA, noting that he previously made statements to other officers and hospital staff indicating that he had seen the suspect “running away.”

When investigators asked Westbrook about the incident, he reportedly told them that he did not know what happened.

Azariahn L.T. Wade, 20, of 1101 E. Barnes, was arrested for allegedly making terroristic threats shortly after the shooting Sunday.

A woman told officers she was walking toward the scene of the shooting when she heard a male, later identified as Wade, say “he was going to shoot up the place when police left.”

The woman said she turned toward Wade upon hearing the comments, and he threatened to “shoot her too” and said “he didn’t care about going to jail.”

Police made contact with Wade on Stuart, just north of Faulkner, and took him into custody.

“It was just emotions were running high that day,” Holt said in reference to the arrest.

Bond was issued at $25,000, cash or corporate surety, during Wade’s first appearance hearing Monday in district court on a charge of first-degree terroristic threatening.

He was determined indigent and will be appointed a public defender.

Wade was still being held in lieu of bond Tuesday afternoon in the Union County Jail.

If he released on bond, Wade is to abide by a daily curfew of 5 p.m. until 7 a.m.

Holt said detectives are still interviewing witnesses and have obtained search warrants for several vehicles that were parked on the scene and grazed by bullets.

When officers arrived on the scene of the shooting, a large crowd had gathered in the streets and several witnesses said the suspect was inside the house at 211 Stuart.

Officers searched the house, for which they obtained a search warrant, but did not find anyone inside.

Other witnesses said the suspect had left the area in a black truck.

While en route to the scene, officers noted they passed a black Chevrolet Avalanche, which was heading south on Stuart toward Main.

Police said they had not received information about a suspect or a suspect’s vehicle at the time.

When asked if Baker is believed to have been inside the Avalanche, Holt said, “We’re still putting it all together. A vehicle fled the scene, and we’re still working on that.”

Davis was lying unresponsive on the ground in front of the 211 Stuart Avenue residence when police arrived. He was later pronounced dead, having sustained at least one gunshot wound.

Holt said Davis’s body was sent to the Arkansas State Crime Laboratory in Little Rock for an autopsy.

He said police anticipate receiving a preliminary report from the crime lab by the end of the week.

Tia Lyons may be contacted at 870-862-6611 or tlyons@

Sponsor Content


comments powered by Disqus