El Dorado police are continuing an investigation into a theft from a local department store that has resulted in several arrests within the past month.
Capt. Kevin Holt, public information officer for the El Dorado Police Department, said more arrests could be forthcoming in connection with the theft of clothing and other merchandise from Stage, 2003 North West Ave.
“It just depends on how it goes. I’m not really sure on the specifics or where the investigators are on it, but things are liable to change within the next few days,” Holt said.
An initial report placed the value of the stolen merchandise at $2,000. Holt said the number could go higher.
The store manager told police on Dec. 13 that a former employee — Taylor Jackson, 18, of 2103 Houston — was allowing friends to steal items from Stage.
Jackson was allegedly removing the security sensors and hangers from the merchandise when the suspects presented the items at the checkout counter.
She would then place the items in Stage shopping bags and allow the suspects to leave the store without paying.
The store manager said the thefts were captured on surveillance video that dated back to November.
In a written statement, Jackson admitted to the thefts, and she was banned from the store, the complainant said.
A warrant was subsequently issued for Jackson’s arrest, and she was taken into custody on Dec. 15 on a felony charge of theft of property.
She was released on a citation to appear in 35th Judicial District Court.
Others who were arrested this month in connection to the thefts are:
• Kelly B. Peralta, 45, of 800 W. Fifth, theft by receiving (misdemeanor).
• Kariva Y. Carter, 45, 800 W. Fifth, theft by receiving.
• Destiny A. Gatson, 17, 919 Magnolia, theft by receiving.
• Shaquita L. Ford, 26, 509 W. Eighth, theft by receiving.
• Nancy R. Smith, 37, 550 Beverly Drive, Apt. 105, theft by receiving.
• Reagan B. Smith, 19, 1109 W. Eighth, theft by receiving.
• Darryl Brown, 52, Camden, theft of property.
• Da’Monica J. Jackson, 28, 1130 W. 19th, theft of property.
Tia Lyons may be contacted at 870-862-6611 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.