Today's Paper Obits Weather Community Calendar

Bond was set at $15,000 Friday for a 20-year-old man who made his first appearance in 35th Judicial District Court for allegedly kicking two El Dorado police officers as they tried to arrest him.

Kerstain R. Sturdivant, 20, — who has given addresses of 1307 W. Sixth and 1936 Hinson Road, Lot 7 — was arrested Thursday on two counts of second-degree battery on a law enforcement officer, third-degree domestic battery, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public intoxication.

At approximately 9 p.m. Thursday, police responded to a call for assistance at the admitting desk in the emergency room of Medical Center of South Arkansas.

The responding officer, who was working off-duty security at MCSA, said a woman, Sturdivant’s grandmother, met him at the ER entrance and told him that she had been having trouble with Sturdivant.

She later told officers that Sturdivant’s parents had asked her to pick him up from the Hinson Road residence in order to defuse an altercation between him and his parents.

While en route to her residence, Sturdivant’s grandmother said he began swearing at her and “talking belligerently.”

She noted that he had been drinking alcohol and had taken “pain medication.”

Afraid that he would become violent and concerned about his mental health, Sturdivant’s grandmother said she drove him to MCSA to receive medical attention.

Hospital staff told police that when Sturdivant arrived in the ER, he asked if his mother was there.

When they told him no, he began yelling and swearing at them. They said Sturdivant ignored requests to calm down and threats to summon security.

Police said that when they spoke with Sturdivant, he was initially calm and admitted to having drunk “a little more than a pint of alcohol.”

They said Sturdivant grew increasingly agitated, however, and began yelling, cursing and directing obscene gestures toward hospital staff and people in the ER waiting room.

At least two young children were in the waiting room at the time, police said.

Sturdivant was then taken into custody for disorderly conduct and public intoxication and was handcuffed without incident.

As officers were escorting Sturdivant to a police patrol unit outside, they said he stiffened his body and refused to walk.

The responding officer said that when he tried to force Sturdivant onto the hood of the patrol unit in order to gain better control of him, Sturdivant spun around, and Sturdivant’s own momentum caused him to run into his grandmother’s truck, which was parked nearby.

The officer said he forcefully steered Sturdivant back toward the patrol unit, and Sturdivant struck the patrol unit and fell to the ground.

As the officer attempted to pick Sturdivant up off the ground, Sturdivant kicked him with both feet, striking him in the knee and knocking off his radio, which caused his antenna to break, according to a police report.

The officer also said he then kicked Sturdivant in the right hip in a “reflex action.”

Sturdivant continued struggling with officer after was pulled to his feet.

The officer said Sturdivant fell facedown, and he was able to pin Sturdivant to the ground.

He said he noticed blood on ground and saw that Sturdivant was bleeding profusely from two lacerations on his forehead.

Other officers arrived on the scene to assist.

An EPD lieutenant said that as he tried to place leg restraints on Sturdivant, Sturdivant kicked him in the chest and knocked him to the ground.

The lieutenant said the blow also caused him to lose his breath.

Police were ultimately able to subdue Sturdivant, who was treated for his injuries outside the hospital because of his behavior.

Sturdivant reportedly received staples for the lacerations on his forehead and was cleared for transport to the Union County Jail.

During his first appearance hearing in district court, Sturdivant received a bond of $15,000, cash or corporate surety.

If he is released from the Union County Jail on bond, he must remain in jail to serve a 90-day sentence on the misdemeanor charge of third-battery.

Prior to his release, Sturdivant must also be placed on a drug or alcohol monitor at his own expense.

Tia Lyons may be contacted at 870-862-6611 or tlyons@

Sponsor Content


comments powered by Disqus