Breaking: Power outage on west side of town
Today's Paper Obits Weather Community Calendar

Bond was set at $1 million Wednesday for an El Dorado man who is facing murder and attempted murder charges in a shooting that left one man dead and another seriously wounded earlier this week.

Shackled at the ankles and walking with a pronounced limp, Corey D. Tate, 44, made his first appearance in 35th Judicial District Court on charges of first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, possession of a firearm by a certain person and a felon in possession of a firearm, which carries a penalty enhancement.

Tate is accused of shooting 32-year-old Brandon M. Sanders and Casey Frazier, 33, during a skirmish at The Brick House, a local nightclub at 1814 Junction City Road.

El Dorado police responded at 3:30 a.m. on Nov. 19 to a report of shots fired at The Brickhouse.

Upon arrival, they found two men, later identified as Sanders and Frazier, with gunshot wounds in the parking lot.

Sanders was fatally wounded, later succumbing to his injuries at Medical Center of South Arkansas.

Frazier was airlifted from MCSA to the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock with “a significant injury,” police said.

Tate was identified as a suspect and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

He turned himself in Monday afternoon at EPD headquarters, accompanied by attorney Gary McDonald.

McDonald told Barker Wednesday that he was representing Tate through his first appearance hearing.

Tate was determined indigent, saying that he had been self-employed as a landscaper, and was appointed a public defender.

Once Barker made the appointment, McDonald asked to step aside.

Barker read the list of charges that have been levied against Tate, telling the defendant that he could be sentenced to 10 to 40 years or life in prison for two of the charges — first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder.

The charge of possession of a firearm by a certain person carries a possible penalty of five to 20 years in prison and/or a maximum fine of $15,000.

Barker upheld the $1 million cash or corporate surety bond that had been recommended by the 13th Judicial Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.

In his argument for the recommended bond amount, Deputy Prosecutor Ryan Rainwater cited a lengthy criminal history for Tate, including recent charges of first-degree battery and aggravated residential burglary.

Rainwater also said a petition has been filed to revoke probation and parole for Tate.

Barker noted that the defendant was notified in open court of the state’s petition.

“A hearing will take place to determine whether there is probable cause to determine if you committed violations of probation and parole,” Barker said. “The violations will be for the new charges, the felony charges you’re in court for today.”

If Tate is released in lieu of bond from the Union County Jail, he will be subject to a daily curfew of 5 p.m. until 7 a.m.

He was also ordered not to have any contact with Frazier or Sanders’ family members.

Barker also told Tate that he would not be allowed to leave Arkansas.

“Sir, if I get out, I’m not running. I’ve never ran,” Tate replied evenly.

Tate was bound over to Union County Circuit Court for further proceedings.

Holt said EPD detectives are still interviewing witnesses to determine what started the altercation that led to the shooting at The Brickhouse.

He previously said the incident began inside the club and spilled into the parking lot.

Holt said Sanders’ body was sent Monday to the Arkansas State Crime Laboratory in Little Rock, and investigators are awaiting preliminary results from an autopsy.

Frazier remained hospitalized Wednesday in Little Rock. Police had not yet received an update on his condition, Holt said.

Tia Lyons may be contacted at 870-862-6611 or tlyons@

Sponsor Content


comments powered by Disqus