Today marks the 21st annual International Left-Handers Day, where all left-handed people are celebrated around the world.
The day began in 1992 by The Left Handers Club,an organization formed in 1990 aiming to keep members in touch with developments, make their views known to manufacturers and others, provide a help & advice line, to promote research into left-handedness and development of new left-handed items.
Here are some “just because facts” from Scientific American:
• 15 percent of people are left-handed. Males are twice as likely to be left-handed than females.
• Left-handed people are three times more likely than right-handed people to become alcoholics.
• If both parents are left-handed, 50 percent of their offspring will be left-handed. Two righties only have a two percent chance of having a lefty.
• Four of the five original designers of the MAC computer were left-handed.
• Of the last five presidents, three are left-handed. (Obama, Clinton, Bush Sr.)
Happy Left-Handers Day to all the “Lefties”!