Advisory issued ahead of Isaac’s arrival

With the Republican National Convention underway in Tampa, Fla., and college football season kicking off this week, Hurricane Isaac couldn’t have picked a worse week to power through Louisiana and Mississippi, sending chances of thunderstorms and severe wind into Arkansas and frustrating two particularly enthusiastic groups: political pundits and football fans.

El Dorado is expected to get some residual rain after Isaac’s anticipated Tuesday night arrival in New Orleans, testing the levies seven years nearly to the day after Hurricane Katrina devastated South Louisiana. Isaac was updated to a category one hurricane early Tuesday morning when winds reached up to 75 m.p.h.

Arkansas is anticipated to receive between 2 and 5 inches of rain, according to Arkansas News.

According to the National Weather Service, a 20 percent chance of thunderstorms Tuesday afternoon will be bumped up to 30 percent Wednesday afternoon and 50 percent Wednesday night. On Thursday and Friday, thunderstorms are likely, ranging between 60 and 70 percent chances.

A hazardous weather outlook was issued just before noon on Tuesday for Union County, advising against lake wind until early in the evening. Wednesday through Monday, the NWS warns against rain and wind.

“Tropical Storm Isaac will begin to impact the four-state region Wednesday,” according to the advisory. “Thunderstorms are likely by later Wednesday afternoon… through early Saturday… especially across northwest Louisiana and southwest Arkansas. Heavy rainfall and gusty winds will be likely.”

About Admin

This blog is brought to you by the El Dorado News-Times, the Voice of South Arkansas.
This entry was posted in By Allison Gatlin, Flooding, News, Weather. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>