MusicFest clash inspires racist accusations

An alleged clash between Main Street El Dorado Director Mark Givens and former MC Hammer performer Benito Glosson resulted in accusations of racism plastered across the latter man’s Facebook page.

Glosson, a former El Dorado mayoral candidate who is currently running against Alderman Willie McGhee for the Ward 3 position, posted on his Facebook page a complaint that he couldn’t perform on stage with his former boss during MusicFest.

“‘ALERT’ fb I just had a conversation with Mark Givens the Chairman of Music Fest [sic] El Dorado Arkansas. and I asked him about a back stage pass and said to him,you know I’m performing 1 song with Mc Hammer when he comes on the Oct-5th right.To my suprise [sic] he jumps up and say’s [sic] to me bluntly “That Ain’t Going To Happen” So I asked him “why” is there problem.and he replise [sic] I don’t have a problem with you my board does. So I’m like what does a song have do with anything and he say’s [sic] it’s in the contract with Hammer that I Benito Glosson can not get on stage. because we don’t want politics involved !!! So I looked that EVIL DEVIL right in his eyes and told him this. Mark Givens first of all I am a local celebrity wheather [sic] you like it are not, two my old boss is coming to my town,who wouldn’t want to see me on stage repping [sic] El Dorado to the fullest, but I’ve only song [sic] on 10 records are [sic] more,that Sold over 10 million Albums !!! everybody in this area knows I song [sic] with Mc Hammer for over 5 yrs. traveled the world and abroad !!! And u tell me that !!! This is what I believe Mark Givens is an open face RACIST !!! and a HATER to the tenth POWER !!!”

The complaint has garnered a slew of responses agreeing and disagreeing with Glosson’s remarks. It has also resulted in a post by Kendall Dykes asking the citizens to take a stand against MusicFest and its director, and a “BAN Music FEST” page which already has 19 likes.

A reporter will be making calls for comments shortly. Be sure to check tomorrow’s News-Times for the full story.

This entry was posted in Business, By Allison Gatlin, Entertainment, Money, News, Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to MusicFest clash inspires racist accusations

1. Duh says:

Wow- he really got votes to become the Mayor? He can’t even spell! Regardless, let him “song” on stage, who really cares anyway?Also, if MC Hammer wanted him on stage I’m sure he wouldn’t have to ask Mark Givens for a backstage pass at this point…just saying.

2. Keith Owens says:

It sounds like Benito has been getting lessons from Obama – anytime you disagree with someone they’re automatically a racist!!

3. Janet says:

In respone to Keith….Wow…yet ANOTHER thing to blame Obama for!

Not taking sides, just pointing out a fact that I’ve never seen that many [sic] in a paragraph ever.

5. MS.El Dorado says:

It seems to me like everyone really need to get on the same page…Because we all still have to live in this city and down talking one another isnt goin to do the next person any more justice than the next..And also the 2nd comment is correct,if Hammer really wanted Benito to perform with him,then Benito shouldnt have to go to another MAIN man to ask for a back stage Pass…Now to the 1st REPLY..I FEEL THAT WHOEVER YYOU ARE,YOU SHOULDNT TRY TO TALK DOWN ON SOMEONE ABOUT THEIR SPELLING..ETC..BECAUSE WE ALL ARE HUMAN AND MAKE MISTAKES AND ESPECAILLY WHEN WE ARE TYPING…SO IT MAY NOT BE THAT BENITO CANT SPELL..IT MAY JUST BE HIS COMPUTER AND WE ALSO KNOW HOW THESE TOUCH SCREEN PHONES ARE..IF YOU PUSH ONE BUTTON,YOU ALSO PUSH 2-3 MORE BUTTONS ALONG WITH THAT CORRECT BUTTON THAT YOU WERE WANTING TO PUSH,SO PLEASE DONT GET IT TWISTED OR TRY TO TALK DOWN ON SOMEONE BECAUSE OF A MISTAKE THAT WAS MADE BY TYPING..ON FACEBOOK THE GUY THAT REPORT EVERYTHING ON THE ELDORADO NEWS TIME PAGE..MIS-TYPE ALL THE TIME..DO ANYONE TRY TO DOWN TALK HIM ABOUT HIS TYPING MISTAKES..HE ALSO MIS-USE THE WRONG WORDS…EX:( TO,TOO AND TWO…THERE,THEIR AND THEY’RE) WHICH WE ALL KNOW HAVE DIFFERENT MEANINGS..SO JUGDE YE NOT,FOR YE SHALL BE JUDGED!!!!! THANKS MS.EL DORADO

6. MS.El Dorado says:

ALSO..WHAT DOES KENDALL DIKES HAVE TO DO WITH THIS SITUATION..HE HAS THE ABILITY TO POST WHATEVER HE FEELS ON HIS FACEBOOK PAGE..IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT OTHERS POST ON THEIR PAGES,THEN MY UNDERSTAND IS DONT READ IT..I ALWAYS HAVE BEEN TAUGHT THAT IF YOU GO LOOKING FOR MESS AND DRAMA..THEN THATS WHAT YOU WILL FIND..SO SOMEONE HAD TO GO LOOK FOR MESS AND DRAMA INORDER TO FIND WHAT KENDALL POSTED ON HIS FACEBOOK PAGE SO NEGATIVE!!!! IF YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE DOESNT AGREE WITH WHAT KENDALL IS SAYING,THEN YOU DONT HAVE TO CHOOSE HIS SIDE NOR EITHER SIDE…KENDALL DIKES…KEEP POSTING WHATEVER YOU FEEL AND WANT TO POST ON YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE…THATS THE KETY WORDS…YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE..WHICH MEANS IT BELONG TO YOU AND IF WHOEVER IT IS DOESNT LIKE WHAT YOU POST..THEN THEY CAN KICK ROCKS…WITH NO SHOES ON!!!!….THANKS AGAIN…MS.EL DORADO

7. J. Randal Harvey says:

Oh brother. I knew this was going to happen.

8. Keith Owens says:

In respone (sic) to Janet, I just figured that I would turn the tables on him since he is still blaming Bush for everything 3 1/2 years into his term!!

9. M.C. says:

Mr. Owens, I guess it is rightfully so to call you that, being that you have shown a very side that have been in question about this whole ordeal. First and foremost, President Obama has nothing to do with this. Him blaming Bush for our country melt down is rightfully so, because the record shows. As far as one spelling, on these posting does not give in indication on what type of person they maybe oracally or literally. I disagree with a person using the term racism when there is a difference in opinion. You judged Benito and used Mr. Obama as a reference so with saying that, Who can we say you sound like? What this comes down to is politics. If Mr. Givens and Benito can put that aside then they could promote a great event for EL Dorado. The great thing about that “living document” is that we all have a freedom of expression and speech. Oh, just in case “YOU” do not know what the “living document” is, It’s called the Constitution and the first 10 bills of rights, which brings us to Freedom of speech which is the political right to communicate one’s opinions and ideas via speech. The term freedom of expression is sometimes used synonymously, which we are all using, but includes any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used.

10. ME says:

So as I understand it, the Main Street Board has a problem with Benito being on stage for political reasons. I can understand that. If one candidate is given time in a public forum it is (if I remember correctly) incumbent upon that forum to give equal time to the other candidate(s) in the election. That means that if Bonito “reps” (and yes, spelling IS important, regardless what Ms. El Dorado thinks) one song, Wille McGhee is entitled to the same amount of time on stage–and he can do whatever he wants. I think the Main Street Board is wise to make sure politics don’t become THE issue at Musicfest.

And while I don’t blame Obama for EVERYTHING that’s wrong with this country, the racism comment by Keith is right on target. Furthermore, how can you possibly call a man a racist when he has promoted more black performers in the time he’s been here than any other Mainstreet Director?

11. Yancey Kyle says:

The conflict is a clear one. If those involved in the decision-making processes behind Musicfest were inclined to allow candidates to make stage appearances with or without the artist of their choosing then every single local candidate would have to be given equal time during an equally populated time of day. Yeah, that sounds like something I would like to sit through.

That being said, should we also assume then that Henry Frisby will not be allowed on stage and will not have his name mentioned across any public address system? Don’t get me wrong, I love Henry, but unless his opponent, Bobby Pierce, gets to be on stage as much as Henry has been in the past, it seems that one would have to apply the same “no appearances” rule that is being applied to Mr. Glosson.

Speaking now of Mr. Glosson, it might serve him well to look up the subtle differences between someone being a “local celebrity” and someone being locally infamous. Distinguishing between confidence and narcissism might also be a good idea. I consider Mark a friend, and it is beyond laughable to think that Mark is the slightest bit racist towards any particular group. To immediately reach to such a base insult reveals far more about Mr. Glosson’s character than it suggests about Mark’s.

One last point, concerning the mention of free speech: it is not absolute. Yes, we all have the right to spew ignorance as fact and intuition as policy. Were it not so then Fox News would cease to exist. However, I prefer to look at our rights from a more cynical perspective, one that George Carlin articulated as such, “You do not have rights – you only have the illusion of rights.”

You doubt that, then threaten an elected official and see what happens.

12. Tab Bledsoe says:

Thanks to this post I now know who one of mc hammers back up singers was?!?! Not sure that makes him a local celeb or not ?!?! If so I wouldn’t have had to click on this link to figure out who was throwing a fit!! When I think local celeb the name that come to mind would be: Scott Reed … Just sayin!!

13. Leichmon 1 says:

Sound like y’all all f….d up. Js

14. LMBO says:

Here we go!! Mark Givens really thinks his sh*t does not stink!! He is one of those who thinks he can say and do whatever he wants to do. The Main Street Committee might want to reel his drunk (all the time) butt in before he runs into the wrong person. Week maybe he has and if so then it is what it is!! Mark is Evil and that is first hand information!! Main street wake up!!

15. MC Hammer says:

I’d like to point out that Ms. El Dorado needs to be in the kitchen cooking instead of being on here not being able to spell just like my cousin. Now…cuz c’mon man, not everyone’s a racist, and no one even knows that song me and you did, just let it go homie.

Mark Givens cut the check baby, it’s on.

-Can’t Touch This

16. alan butler says:

This is comical! You can’t buy entertainment this good!

17. Benito Glosson says:

Yancey Kyle speaking on me. Wow !!! are you the same guy that ran for mayor like I did and lost !!! The same dude that bobby Edmonds fired from the county and later the city. You have the nerve like you really know who I am talking about my character. I been more places in this word than you’ll ever go, and more cultured than you will ever be. Watch your tongue when speaking on me. I’ll put all your business out there !!! Word from the wise !!! Think it’s a game try me !!!

18. MrsC says:

This conflict has nothing to do with allowing candidates to make stage appearances with artists of their choosing. Benito was a member of the MC Hammer group, as far as I know, none of the other candidates were a part of any popular singing group.

That being said, I feel this decision was made to discredit and cause confusion with Mr. Glosson. What harm would be done for Benito to sing a song he used to sing with MC Hammer as long as politics are not mentioned?

Benito’s accusation of racism is not so laughable, what could be the reason if not racism? Benito is a good person and has not been fired by the City or County, he does not have an arrest record and has been a resident of El Dorado all his life. He deserves the respect that would be given to a friend of Mark’s and “his board.”

19. MrsC says:

I think the Main Street Board is racist and so is Keith Owens. Bush handed Pres. Obama a royal mess; A senseless war, a huge deficit, and a recession.

20. Keith Owens says:

MrsC – Bush did NOT hand Obama a mess! At the end of 2007 the economy was fairly strong (check the numbers – I won’t do your research for you). The last two years of Bush’s term were controlled by a Democrat majority in both the House and the Senate. The housing crisis is what sunk the economy and it is a fact that both Bush and Senator McCain went to Congress on numerous occassions trying to warn them about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac! By the way, we are still fighting wars, the deficit is much larger and the recession still rages on 3 1/2 years later. If I had that kind of job performance where I work I would be fired!!

As far as the charge of racism goes, you don’t know me! I am the farthest thing from a racist that you will ever see! In my opinion, it is usually the ones who so flippantly throw that word around that are the biggest racists themselves!!!

21. Laurie Russell says:

Good Lord.

22. LMBO says:

This is as entertaining as Topic!! How did it go from Benito and Mark to President Obama?? Yes , it’s President Obama not just Obama!! I do know that Mark is about to see what happens when he continues to dig holes for everyone else!! Personal experience he is a drunk mess!!

23. MrsC says:

Keith Owens,
    August 22, 2012 at 11:28 am
    “It sounds like Benito has been getting lessons from Obama – anytime you disagree with someone they’re automatically a racist”

I don’t know you and don’t care to know you or care about your opinion. I am definately racist when it comes to people like you!!!

24. El Dorado Native says:

You need permission to get on stage with your family? Neverthless if he is getting on stage to perform WHAT does politics has to do with it? This is a perfect example of why I am glad I no longer live there. But I must admit this is very disappointing we do not need to be in the spotlight over something so minor. Let Go and Let God and move on.

25. El Dorado Native says:

And let’s just please remember Obama mother is white and his father black so he’s both of us. Leave OUR President out of this mess!

26. El Dorado Native says:

@Keith know your facts sir: When Bush was sworn in on January 20, 2001, the national debt was $5,727,776,738,304.64.

When “W” left office on January 20, 2009, the national debt was $10,626,877,048,913.08.

The growth in the national debt during his eight years in office: $4,899,100,310,608.44.

The average yearly growth in the national debt during Bush’s presidency: $612,387,538,826.05.
    It’s obivously you don’t know what you are talking about it was under Bush that allow banks to give mortage loans to people KNOWING they couldn’t pay for them and that started the domino effect. It took eight years of his mess to dig this hole and what makes you think Obama can just make it go away? And again explain to me how Obama can be racist when he is birracial?

27. Keith Owens says:

MrsC, you just proved my point! Oh, by the way, why don’t you reveal your true identity instead of hiding behind a fake name! Benito, Yancy and I all make comments with our true names! I’m not afraid of people knowing my opinions – what about you?!?! And it is definitely not definately – learn to spell why don’t you!!!

28. Yancey Kyle says:

Benito, yes, I am the same guy that ran for Mayor and lost by under 70 votes in the Democratic Primary. It’s what happens when you have the convictions to declare party affiliation. Yes, I am the same guy that former Judge Bobby Edmonds fired from the county. He and I never worked for the city together. I left my position with the city to work for the Arkansas Democratic Party and then Union County Office of Emergency Management.

Yes, I have the nerve to read something you posted in a public forum and state that it reveals your character. I am assuming that in the above comment you intended to say, “I HAVE been to more places in this WORLD than you will ever have the opportunity to VISIT, and I am far more cultured than you will ever be.” Again, your words cast doubt on the likelihood of that statement.

Concerning your threats to “put all my business out there” I think that would be hard for you to do considering you and I have never had a conversation so anything you said about me would be guesswork or secondhand at best.

Let me leave you with two quotes. The first is from former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. “Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren’t.” A self-proclaimed celebrity is anything but.

The second quote is from George Carlin. “Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.” Perhaps a reading of “How to Win Friends and Influence People” is in order. Best of luck, Bagoc’e.

29. Speaking the real! says:

Benito, such an embarrassing man! It’s people like you that makes it hard for us. Stop complaining about MC Hammer. Trust me nobody cares if you get on stage or not. You need to look at the fact at why you are not winning at anything. You sold so many copies of albums but look at you now! Would you like to know ONE similarity between you and MC Hammer?? YOU BOTH ARE BROKE! You can’t bring nothing to this community. How do you think you would be suitable for anything with no COMMON sense let along any educational background. Only thing you can bring to the table is that you make songs with MC Hammer!! WOW!! Truly you need to sit down because you are making a butt of yourself!

30. Keith Owens says:

@El Dorado Native – It’s obivously (sic) that A. you don’t know how to spell and B. that YOU are the one who doesn’t know what he is talking about! It was actually Carter and then Clinton that allowed banks to give mortgages to people who couldn’t pay for them!

1977 – Democratic President Jimmy Carter Passes “Community Reinvestment Act,” or CRA, designed to encourage banks to reach out to low income communities by offering loans to minorities and the poor.
    1995 – Democratic President Bill Clinton revises CRA by making banks meet a quota for a certain number of low income loans. He also increases punishment for banks that don’t loan enough money to low income borrowers. This forces banks to write lots of loans that they would not otherwise have written, because the government is forcing them to.
    1999 – Democratic President Bill Clinton signs and endorses the “Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act,” or GLBA, designed to make banks profitable in good economic times, as well as poor economic times. The bill allows consumer banks (think checking accounts, savings accounts, etc.) to merge with insurance companies and investment companies, so they all can make money. BUT, for a bank to qualify to be a part of the program, you had to have a high CRA score, meaning that you had to have a lot of loans written to low income people. The government was effectively telling banks that if they wanted to be allowed to make money off of the investments of the rich, then they had to also be lending money to the poor. This was nice in theory, but look where it has gotten us. Now we are a nation with a bunch of people losing homes they never could afford, and a bunch of banks collapsing because nobody can pay them back!

Also, I never said that Obama was a racist (learn how to read before you open your mouth). I said that anytime you disagree with him then you are automatically considered a racist. I didn’t agree with or vote for Clinton or Carter either – does that make me a racist too?

31. Selah says:

2 Chronicles 7:14
    if my people which are called by my name shall humble
    themselves and pray, and seek my face, and turn
    from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven,
    and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

32. Kent Holmes says:

I can understand Mr. Glossons frustration with not being allowed to sing with his old friend. I can also understand the boards stance based on non-profit restrictions and campaign laws. I don’t personally know Givens or Glosson, but Glosson’s statement does not give any reason to accuse Givens of being racist. Not allowing a political candidate to appear publicly at a venue paid for with public and private funds is both fair to the other candidates and protecting the festival from possible civil action by other candidates and the IRS. So here’s my solution, Musicfest shouldn’t allow any candidates, challengers or incumbents, to appear publicly at the event. None of them, even if they are on the Main Street board, current city council or quorum court. No politicians allowed unless they’re in the crowd. This includes organized public speach, campaign booths, or distributing campaign paraphernalia.

33. MrsC says:

Keith Owens,
    definately or definitely, you got the message!

34. Miss Miller says:

Benito, I truly wish would stop embarrassing yourself, and just halt the foolishness in general. If you want to be a legitimate candidate for any office, you should really start acting like one. El Dorado is in need of someone who can articulate in speech and on paper and from what I’ve seen, you do not have those skills. The city needs help. No one wants to vote for anyone who writes like an elementary child. Did you even read your statement or even put it in spell check before posting it. It makes you like stupid and ignorant. You cannot cry foul every time something does not go your way. I am a black female and I do not think it was racist decision. I think you don’t know the rules of campaigning. There is a difference.
    Secondly, please stop it with the “local celebrity” title. Really? Isn’t celebrity an over statement. Have you done anything relevant since the 90s? We’re in a new century and NO ONE is checking for you! Please, stop trying to live on your former accomplishments and try to do something relevant moving forward.

35. Just concerned! says:

Wow! What is happening to our town! Is musicfest really that big of a deal?

36. Don says:

Benito just needs to quit. He is a pitiful person that needs to live in the now and not the past. All I ever saw him do was dance for M.C. Hammer. As for his political ambitions I don’t think that he has a chance just like a snowball here in El Dorado. As far as I can remember he has always played the raced card even back in high school.