Are you a caveman?

Today at the El Dorado Rotary Club, El Dorado Chamber President and CEO Henry Florsheim touted changes around El Dorado and throughout Union County, including new architecture, road projects and an increase in those working since 2010.

Among those he counted the new El Dorado Conference Center and El Dorado High School, unemployment dropped to 8.4 percent in the past two years, 600 more people working countywide since 2010 and a number of upcoming improvements including gateways, a trolley, redoing Hillsboro with state money and attempts to recruit young professionals.

Those complaining and touting the status quo he referred to as cavemen. So, are you a cavemen or on board with the Chamber’s efforts? What improvements would you like to see in El Dorado and Union County?

This entry was posted in Business, By Allison Gatlin, Entertainment, Family, Money, News. Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Are you a caveman?

1. Ana Nimmus says:

$200k for gateways, UGH!

2. Caveman in this instance means Citizen Against Virtually Everything – CAVE. The point was to take a look at how we react to change in our communities, and how our reaction can determine the future of where we live. Productive, engaging dialogue is healthy. Opposing everything just because it’s new or different or hasn’t been done here before is not, and unfortunately, many in our community do that. Anonymous online conversations obviously make such dialogue even more difficult. So I’ll just take Ana’s comment to mean that she’s upset the city is only investing $200,000 on gateways and not more.

3. The Lone Reader says:

Well since someone appearing to be Mr. Florsheim has chimed in I guess I have to as well with some questions and comments.

1. Recruit young professionals to do what exactly? Those young professionals need clients/patients/customers. Are they all expected to feed of themselves?

2. Our own best and brightest are taking the El Dorado Promise and getting educations and not coming back. I’d be curious to know who the last valedictorian or salutedictorian of EHS was that still lives here.

3. You can have all the Gateways and trolleys you want. But unless we bring in industry with good paying jobs there isn’t going to be anyone to see or use them.

4. There may well be 600 more people working but that doesn’t even come close to A) making up for the jobs we have lost over the last 10 years and B) it doesn’t cover the the number of people who aged into working age over even the last 18 months. And if you think that 8.4% Unemployment is a real number of the percentage of the number of unemployed in the county you need to figure out how they calculate it. It dropped because a large number of people have run out of unemployment benefits and aren’t using DWS to get try and find a job.

I could go on but I won’t.

And as for “Anonymous online conversations” our lovely admin knows who I am and I give her my blessing to tell you should you want to know.

4. Denny Primm says:

Can you tell me what the improvements will be on Hillsboro, Really interested to see that and I for one am not against anything NEW . New is what we need because obviously the past hasnt worked, so I say Bring on the New…

5. Denny Primm says:

I am really to curious to know about the improvements on Hillsboro. I would be really interested in hearing about those. As far as the comment about being against everything ‘New” or different. I say that is what we need because obviously what has been done in the past is no longer working, so I say BRING on the NEW… For what my little say so means… BRING on the NEW

Plans for improvements on Hillsboro are still up in the air right now. Florsheim said the highway commission will be putting together some options soon, but didn’t have a time frame laid out yet.

7. Lone Reader, thanks for the reply. We’re working on new job creation, both with recruitment projects and existing expansions. Those things are coming. But if we don’t also focus on quality of life, our community will be no better off the next time things take a turn for the worse. None of these things exist in a vacuum. Go ask our employers who are constantly trying to recruit workforce from elsewhere how important quality of life is. If you have a community where people want to live, they will find a way to live there. And if they live there, then industry will locate there. It’s a complete shift from the old “move where the jobs are” mindset. It’s very rare today to see industry locate in a place where nobody wants to be. And that’s because they understand that employees who enjoy their life are more likely to stick around, and employees that hate where they are will leave the first time a new opportunity comes up. That’s why it’s so important that we become as welcoming a community as we can – including gateways, wayfinding signage, trolleys, family activities, available housing, more retail and so on. That also includes our attitudes. It’s hard to understand why people post the same old negative arguments over and over online, and especially when they take the time to write a letter to the editor bashing the efforts of everyone involved in trying to make this a better place to live. Let’s figure out how to leverage that energy into something a little more positive. I moved my family to El Dorado because we saw something special here, some amazing potential. I’d much rather have someone come work alongside us than sit back and tear down the efforts of those who are trying. Speaking of, my cell is 312-2556 and my email is henry@goeldorado.com. Let’s get together if you’re interested in helping.

Henry Florsheim

8. Denny, if you ever want to come by the Chamber to talk about the Hillsboro project, let me know. If I remember correctly, we should get some preliminary engineering work back from the transportation department within two or three months.

Henry

9. Ana Nimmus says:

I don’t see any effort (yet) to explain to the community how a trolley or gateways will repay their costs. Nor any progress report on how the conference center is doing at attracting profitable events.

10. Ana, you probably won’t – and here’s why. First, the whole concept of an investment in our community requiring a 100% cash payback is flawed. If such payback were required, then we would have no sidewalks, no streets, no library, no schools, no parks, no police, no auditorium and so on. Those things do not generate the type of revenue you’re referring to, but they do improve our quality of life. Second, we’ve already chosen our leaders, by election, appointment and hire. They’re doing their jobs, making decisions on our behalf, and following the process that’s already been laid out – a process that does not require an in-depth financial analysis every time they make a decision. Third, I’ve been to nearly every city council and EEDB meeting since I moved here, and those questions you mentioned have not even been asked of those officials, at least not publicly. Anonymous postings may be a great way to get opinions out there, but they’re not good if you’re expecting public officials to respond with information like you mentioned. As I said to The Lone Reader, I’d love to sit down with you and have a discussion about these issues. Call me anytime…

11. Ana Nimmus says:

“unemployment down to 8.4 percent from 12.4 percent in 2010″

This has to be a statistical deception– where are these 4% supposed to have found jobs? They didn’t– they moved away or dropped off the rolls because they’d stopped trying and/or their benefits expired.

12. Keith Owens says:

Excellent points Henry, but you’ll never get through to some of these people! They don’t have the mental capacity to understand that tourism is an industry. Years ago Branson was just a sleepy little hillbilly town in the Ozarks until someone had the idea and the initiative to start building theaters. I’m sure that they had “Cavemen” throwing rocks at them as well, but look how it turned out! We have to ignore the Cavemen and keep pushing forward. There are plenty of positive folks who want to make El Dorado a better place to work and live that will help lead the way!!

13. Ana, check the stats. There are 650 more people working in Union County today than there were in January of 2011. We went from 15,650 people employed to 16,300 in a year and a half. At the same time, the labor force grew from 17,500 to 17,800. And those claiming unemployment have dropped from 1850 to 1500. So there are 650 more people actually working, 300 more people available to work, and 350 less actually claiming unemployment. If 650 more people are working, but the labor force only grew by 300, than that means either some people on unemployment found work, or some people moved here – probably a mix of both. And both of those are good things. While you’re absolutely correct that some people may have moved away, and that some people may have stopped looking, the fact that more people are working today is no statistical deception.

14. Suzzie Que says:

Henry, I love how you are taking up for El Dorado and the efforts to improve and move our city forward!!! As this is my hometown and I plan on raising my family here and watching my children’s children grow up here, I will always stand with those who have a positive outlook and a plan to improve our community!! People with a constant negative attitude just wear me out, I’m really tired of hearing it!! And I’ve found that no matter what good is going on around us they will always find a way to turn it around into something negative… their called pessimist! As the old saying goes “if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all” and if you’re not going to be part of the effort to help change things and work towards a solution to improve our community please keep your negative thoughts to yourself!

15. Ana Nimmus says:

I can’t find those figures– were they ever in the News-Times?

I don’t believe they’ve ever been published in the News-Times, Ana. I imagine Henry is getting his information from the studies the Chamber does monthly as well as Bureau of Labor statistics. Is that right, Henry? Please correct me if not.

17. Ana, I’m not sure about the News-Times. I get my figures from http://www.discoverarkansas.net/cgi/dataanalysis/AreaSelection.asp?tableName=Labforce . You can do all kinds of custom searches based upon city, county, state and so on for all sorts of data sets.

18. Kevin Sims says:

First off, how exactly does a trolley effect the quality of living for the majority of El Dorado residents? You do realize that most of the people that live in Union County can’t afford a Country Club membership or wear suits to work? All your plans of improving the quality of living in El Dorado seems to only take in consideration the top echelon. The mayor said publicly that it isn’t going to be used for public transit, so please explain to me how it will benefit the Walmart workers, the fastfood employees and the people slaving in the chemical plants and the oil fields? These types of citizens way out number Murphy Execs, Chamber and MSE employees, and other business types. The common people in El Dorado, these cavemen as you call them, feel that since they can’t afford to give public figures $100 handshakes, that nothing that benefits them will ever happen and they know this from experience. It’s like that old proverb “A community can be measured by how it treats it’s poorest residents.” Our community doesn’t treat its poor very well.

The improved gateways are great, but how long does it take to get to a point where you can tell El Dorado residents what the plan is? When I moved here the first time right out of college in 2010, the life-time resident of Union County who got me the job and showed me around told me about how bad out gateways were and how the local government has been trying to improve them for years. Stop buying trolleys and painting water towers with the insulting E! Dorado and do something about the Gateways. Stop talking about it and do it. It’s been all talk so far and people complain because nothing happens.

Keith, you really think El Dorado can be the next Branson? A customer service based industry? Have you every shopped or ate out at El Dorado? Who exactly do you expect to work these Branson-like activities. El Dorado has by far the rudest, most incompetent customer service employees I’ve ever dealt with. Yes, there are some really good places with great service, but the majority is just terrible. In the past five years I have lived in Shreveport, Ruston, Monroe, Bryant (all of which are competing for the same industry and young professionals) as well as El Dorado and those places are so much friendlier have so much more to offer minus one thing — Murphy Oil.

If you want to really improve the quality of living in this town, why not stop with these leadership councils and functions that’s sole purpose is to bump elbows with the powerful people in this town and do something that matters. Have seminars with the managers of the fast-food restaurants in town in focus on getting the employees to get orders correct in a reasonable amount of time. Go around town to the owners and managers of local businesses and national businesses and set up seminars on how to teach the employees basic customer service.

Have the city build a frisby golf course or give a business that will focus on the needs of young adults incentive to succeed so that kids from 15-20 have something to do on weekends other than sit in an empty parking lot drinking beer until the cops chase them off.

Do more events and community outreach focusing on the black community. Yes, you can say that the opportunities are there, but by in large the black community doesn’t take advantage of it. It’s true because they’ve been ignored for so long. Go out of your way to set something up for their benefit.

You want to bring people from outside the county to El Dorado? Do something so that the people who live in El Dorado don’t have leave on weekends for real entertainment.

And Henry, just because people disagree in the way you are headed doesn’t make them wrong or cavemen, it just means they have an alternative view. You can’t ask for opinions and dismiss everyone that disagrees with yours. That’s not constructive either.

19. K. Holmes says:

Mr Florshiem, I don’t think you understand why many are upset. For years we’ve been told by officials in Union County and El Dorado that we don’t know what we’re talking about. We’ve been treated with the attitude of get on board or shut up. No debate, no discussion, only that “we know what’s best for you and this is how we’re going to spend your money”. For the last two decades we’ve been lied to and robbed of our tax dollars, millions upon millions of dollars, that went to hundreds of studies, researchers, upstarts, new deals, and several best things since sliced bread, many of which that went nowhere. In many cases the research and implementation expenditures ended up costing much more than originally promised. In the end to many have produced unfavorable results, and now known to have been a pure waste of money and time. In addition to all of the above, the officials normally don’t even have the decency to tell the public when a project falls through or admit that they, the decision makers, made a horrendous mistake.

So, do you want to know why there are “CAVEmen…and women” out here Mr. Florshiem……….because history has continually proven that progress in the Union County and El Dorado area appears to only be a buzz word. A prop for the next political campaign of someone that could obviously care less about the local tax payers and what we all do for this area every day our feet hit the floor. We pay our taxes. We boost the population and employment demographics. We help keep the over-inflated local real estate market in check. We vote for those that make the decisions that effect us, and you. For you to hold the position that you do and receive the salary you receive, which is funded by the people of this city and county, and then stand and criticize anyone because they disagree with anything, or even everything, show’s your core character. It also has me wondering if your next speech will be to blame these same “CAVEmen” for you and the local boards and governments failures in succeeding at what you’re all hired, elected, or promised to do.

To end this, I have one question. How much has been spent on the research and debate of the slogan change? If it was $1.00, it was $2.00 too much in my opinion. We hire and elect people to make these decisions, if they can’t do it then there are plenty of highly educated, business minded people in our area to hire or volunteer. Did the powers that be have to get together and agree that a name changes was a good idea, then go out and hire a consultant to tell them what they already believed, or knew, to be true. If the officials we hire and elect aren’t smart enough to make a decision and get answers without spending thousands upon thousands of dollars every single time, maybe they need to go home and be regular citizen, or a “CAVEman”, like the rest of us.

Oh, and I do agree with the improvements to the city’s gateways as well as Hilsboro. These projects have long been needed. Hmmm, guess that makes me only half “CAVEman”

20. J. Randal Harvey says:

I am especially interested in the Hillsboro project. I hear little details and it sounds great. I am concerned about what we will get for the price of the gateways. A nice sign saying welcome to El Dorado shouldn’t cost $100,000. I’m all for the digital marquees at the convention center and auditorium. My concern is just the cost and to be certain it is fairly priced. I work hard for your tax money!

21. Heath Waldrop says:

Many people are failing to see the overall picture. We’re trying to build a tourism industry here. The gateways, trolley, conference center, etc. etc. all are pieces in that larger picture. We’re not making these improvements so that more local people will shop downtown. The goal is to bring in money from areas that have discretionary income to spend. A rising tide lifts all boats.

If you give people reasons to come here, then the jobs will grow up around those reasons. Obviously it isn’t an overnight venture, but every single town in the region has been trying to lure new factories for probably 15 years. Take note of how well ANY of them has done. They’ve lost jobs, not gained them. The factory jobs are leaving not just the area, but the country.

We’re living in a different world, everybody. Our options are to adapt, or to die.

Customer service is indeed awful in the area, and that’s another piece of the puzzle. Trust me…it has been discussed.

22. Connie Young says:

What happened to journalists being objective? I think it’s poor form for Mr. Sims to engage in such a discussion.

A journalist is entitled to his opinion, but not publicly. People frown on that.

What will you do if you have to cover the chamber at some point? Can you be objective?

People will wonder. This is your reputation you are putting on the line.

23. Kevin, based upon your last comment, it’s obvious that you have completely missed the point. I never once wrote or said people who disagree with me are cavemen. And I CERTAINLY never said that common people are the cavemen, as you accused me of doing. CAVE = Citizens Against Virtually Everything. Those people who criticize everything, who complain about everything but don’t do anything to make their community better – that’s who I’m talking about. Those people can be found all over town, in every demographic, in every income level, in every neighborhood. It’s difficult to understand how you could take that message and equate it to me feeling that way about “common people” (your description, not mine). Can you explain?

24. To K. Holmes – all valid points and questions, and I believe that you and I could have some good conversation about these topics. As I’ve told the others on this board, I’d love to sit and chat with you about these and other issues affecting our community. My cell is 312-2556 and my email is henry@goeldorado.com.

25. The Lone Reader says:

That data from discoverarkansas.com on unemployment an labor comes straight out of the DWS/DOL data. And, as I mentioned in my previous post, unemployment rate is the percentage of the labor pool that is either getting UI benefits at this time or those using DWS services to find a job. It does not include those that have exhausted their benefits, those that stopped making claims because they were denied for whatever reason or people that aren’t using DWS to find themselves a job. It is not 8.4% of the entire population of the county.

I can tell you right now what is going to happen. We are going to run out of the tax money that was voted for a few years back and yes we are going to have a convention center with no hotel near by, some signs and a bus or excuse me a trolley. And maybe some theaters that try to have plays that few are going to attend. And then the city is going to come back and ask for yet another tax and it will be voted down.

We can’t be Hot Springs and we can’t be Branson.

We can’t be a festival city because there is one thing I’ve yet to hear. Where are the volunteers going to come from? I’ve served on the Main Street Board and I’ve worked my share of Music Fests. And I can guarantee that you are not going to have enough volunteers and the ones you get are going to be worn out after just a few months.

26. By the way – our Business After Hours is tonight from 5-6:30 at Hays Rentals. And I’ll be in the dunking booth! So if you want to take out some aggression on me, come try and soak me!

27. Heath Waldrop says:

“We can’t be Hot Springs and we can’t be Branson.”

No, because those places exist already. But we can carve out our own niche.

You realize, of course, that those places haven’t existed since the dawn of time. They came into being through ideas and implementation.

If you have a better idea, Lone Ranger, let’s hear it.

28. Kevin Sims says:

You called the “status quo” CAVEmen. I would say common people would be the status quo.

And I have discussed with you my displeasure of one thing, the trolley, and you’ve told me that I couldn’t see the big picture so I was part of the problem. I have been told by numerous people that they’ve had similar dealing with you on other things. So I’ve taken that as you want people’s opinions as long as they coincide with your opinions.

Now the other things I wrote, I’m taking a personal license on how I feel the direction of the city and the chamber is heading. I feel that most of the moves the city has made in economic development has catered to rich white people and that means only a handful of El Dorado residents benefit from the millions of dollars spent. The majority of this town is made up of the lower middle-class who are living paycheck to paycheck. The working class. That’s the majority of people I’ve met outside of work. Those people can’t afford to join the country clubs or even play golf. It’s the people that can’t afford $200 tickets to Casino Night or Wine Tasting or events like that. Conference centers, trolleys, electronic billboards, ect. aren’t helping their quality of life. Building affordable or free recreation and fixing roads would though. You need to spend more time with those people to find out where the city wants to go, not rich white guys.

Yes, I know the plan is to bring people outside of the area into El Dorado to shop are local businesses, but El Dorado doesn’t offer anything that Ruston, Monroe, Shreveport, Little Rock or Dallas doesn’t. Why in the world would someone want to host a huge conference in El Dorado except that El Dorado underbid those other cities so greatly that we took a loss on the venture?

The problem with living in El Dorado is no one who was not born here wants to stay here. Even our young people are leaving in masses. There’s a reason the population is falling this rapidly. We need to give people who are already here a reason to stay, not cross our fingers and hope that people chose to move here over every other town even though we’re offering the same thing. Everyone I’ve talked to who has moved here did it for a job and nothing else. I’m not sure what else El Dorado has to offer if anything.

El Dorado is bucket with a hole in the bottom. Instead of doing the logical thing, fixing the hole in the bottom to keep the contents inside, we’re trying to find a way to put more water in to keep the bucket full. To me it doesn’t make sense. Young professionals are just using the town as a jumping off point and that can’t be the bandage used to save the town.

29. Ill just remain anonymous... says:

Personally, I am glad to hear a few new ideas to make El Dorado a little nicer. For all the negative posters on here: do you think that new businesses and industry are attracted to cities like Forrest City or Helena? No. And why not? Because they are slum infested dumps that don’t care about keeping a decent appearance to attract new people. All of the ‘nicer’ cities in AR and LA that everyone loves to compare to El Dorado- and usually say “we’ll never be like them so why try”, incorporated changes like these long ago. Take a ride down MLK or East Hillsboro. Is that what you want the rest of the city to look like? Also, what exactly is the definition of catering to the black community Mr. Sims? How has any specific ethnic population been disregarded in El Dorado? How much money do we need to dump into the east side of town to satisfy you and many others who want to divide the city along racial lines?

30. Heath Waldrop says:

“Fixing the hole” is a wonderful analogy, except that you’ve applied it in exactly the wrong direction. Continuing with the thought of replacing lost factory jobs with new factory jobs is trying to fix a bucket that always will leak because of its intrinsic flaws. So, what’s the only answer? Build a new bucket.

31. Kevin, I love the debate, and you’re certainly entitled to your opinion, just as I am and everyone else is. So I’ll just rephrase the question I asked you earlier. Status quo means “the current state of affairs”. How can you say that “common people” (again, your term, not mine) are the status quo, and yet say that I’m the one disrespecting them? There are thousands of people of all income levels and demographics in this town that want things to change for the better. If they want things to change, then they’re not embracing the status quo, no matter how much or how little money they make. And if they’re not embracing the status quo, then I love them for it. So how does all that lead you to the conclusion that I called any specific demographic a caveman? That is ABSOLUTELY not the case. The wealthiest man in town could just as easily be anti-everything as the least wealthy, and those who are anti-everything are the ones I’m talking about.

32. Charlie says:

Kevin, If you hate it here so much, why don’t you move?

Signed,
    Someone who grew up here and moved back by choice

33. Keith Owens says:

Lone Ranger, K. Holmes, Ana Nimmus, Kevin Sims, etc. – when was the last time you served on any of the local boards, attended City Council/EEDB meetings, volunteered at MusicFest or other festivals or done anything at all towards putting your money where you mouth is!!! Step away from your keyboards and get out on the front lines instead of being so negative!

The idea about holding customer service seminars is a great one, but you can’t just talk about it – make it happen – get involved!! Like the old saying goes – if you’re not going to help push/pull the wagon, then at least get the hell out of the way!!!!!

34. Sara says:

Just using the negative “CAVEman” acronym will turn people off. If you want people to join you in your efforts, being rude is not the way to start.
    Do I smell another possible tax increase?

35. K. Holmes says:

I think we’d all welcome a city as busy and thriving as Hot Springs or Branson, and possibly we could carve out our own niche within the entertainment locales. Here’s where you both, Kevin and Henry, fail to see from the outside-in. If we were to be the next great vacation/tourism destination, the banks, businesses, commercial real estate, etc would flourish but what will it do for your avg Jane and John? Will the jobs be plentiful and pay enough hourly wage to sustain our citizens? Will that pay be enough to get our local real estate market out of the gutter (assuming local agents rethink their current pricing strategy). Most shows take place in the evening and night, what will these tourist do with the rest of their free time? Cities that thrive don’t allow their local commercial real estate to send vacant and dilapidated. They don’t allow empty Mellor Park Mall’s, County Market’s, K-Marts, and El Dorado Ford type locations to be such an eyesore, especially on the main thoroughfares through the city. They don’t allow main intersections like Hilsboro and North West, to be so unsightly. They understand that taking care of the local community interest is as important as the outsiders. They have alternatives to conventions and shows for people that enjoy other activities. Their hotels and motels are located within a short distance from major retail, entertainment, and restaurants. Where the conference center is located, there stand little to no chance of there ever being a major restaurant or hotel within walking distance. The parking on the square is atrocious and should have been resolved with a major parking structure twenty years ago. So you see, there are many of us who do think and consider your points but when your points are always “yours” and never seem to resolve or answer long standing concerns and questions…… What would you have us to believe or agree with?

Here’s another question, assume all parking on the square was done away with, which it should be if we’re concerned about looks and appeal to those visiting. How much money would a parking structure on an average day, large enough to accommodate anyone visiting the conference center and downtown generate? You don’t need a consultant to figure this out, surely there’s enough connections to find one of similar size and ask that city or establishment for reference data.

How about a lake large enough to draw fishermen, ski and pleasure boaters, festivals, and other events. A lake that is in AR and not 2.5 to 3 hrs away.

How about major retail establishments other than dollar stores and WalMart? Maybe an outlet mall to keep the show-goers occupied during the day or somewhere for the wives to go while their husbands played golf. The city could build and lease the buildings.

How about working with local real estate and convincing them that a 30 year old house isn’t going to sell for the same price that someone can buy land and build a brand new home for. Houses in NW AR are 1/3 or more less for newer houses in more economically stable communities.

So many ideas out there but the same fruitless decisions keep being made and the same problems continue to plague our community as a whole. If you want us to be for everything you recommend, show us the goods, just once show us a major tax payer funded expenditure that pays for itself and earns our community a profit either monetarily or demographically in any way. Gateways don’t earn money but show the people 5 years from now by car counts, and surveys how those gateways make an impact. Show us where the conference center is repaying the tax-payers a profit on what it cost us from our pockets.

36. Keith Owens says:

I rather enjoyed the Caveman acronym! I think the only people turned off are exactly the ones that fit the description and they are not helping anyway, so who cares what they think!!

37. K-Holmes – actually I see most of the same things that you see. I know what our challenges are, and if you or any of the other posters had been at the Rotary meeting yesterday, you would have heard that part of the discussion as well. Unfortunately a newspaper article cannot accurately represent a 30+ minute conversation. We are currently working on initiatives in retail, housing, family activities and other issues you mentioned, all on top of the traditional economic development responsibilities that we have. Our heads are not in the sand, but at the same time, we have to move forward on many fronts at once. At any given time, some projects are move visible than others, but that does not mean that the only things happening are those that are visible. K-H, I love almost every single idea you just posted, and would really like to get together with you to discuss.

38. Kimberly Eller says:

There are a lot of passionate people who are posting today! A lot of you didn’t have the opportunity to hear Henry’s presentation to Rotary in person. If you are interested, you may book a time for him to come out and speak to your group, organization, church, etc…. Please, contact the Chamber at (870) 863-6113 or email me at kimberly@goeldorado.com, and we will work together to find a date for Henry to come out and present to you.

For those who have been posting about the unemployment rates, if you or someone you know is looking for a job, please direct them to our Virtual Job Fair at http://www.goeldorado.com/jobs. There, they may view a listing of current openings in our area. If you are an employer and have a job opening, you may post the position to the site.

39. Edward says:

All the folks that want to see what can really be done for average folks need to attend a local civic club. These organizations help with community safety nets and and services that reach all economic classes in our community. But how many of the naysayers are ACTIVELY involved. Our civic clubs have attendance of less 75 on even a good day. I don’t see most of the naysayers filling up the community civic clubs or going out of their way to to help those clubs with the community projects they do. I see businessmen and professionals raising money for children’s hospitals, blood banks, therapy centers, organizations that teach and care for kids. I don’t see that many ordinary folks. When my civic club went to help with Special Olympics this year and other years, it was accountants, bankers, government officials, ministers, lawyers, and medical professionals that I saw volunteer. So I’m a little tired of hearing how the lower classes are so wonderful and the middle and upper classes aren’t. I know many more businessmen and professionals who will get up off their butts and do something for the community than I do “common people.”

40. K. Holmes says:

We do help as does every other tax paying citizen. What is this, communist China? Approve or disapprove, we have as much say as you or anyone else. Is the EEDB come one come all? Do you serve every board in Washington DC? I’m sure at times you don’t like decisions they make and have an opinion. Don’t get your feathers all prissy because someone has an opinion and isn’t to lazy or scared to voice it. To come with the attitude that people cant speak up unless they’re physically on a board or volunteering is a little insulting and egotistical. It’s also the exact attitude I was describing in my original reply. The “Shut up and listen because you’re not on the board, committee, or council” attitude. I don’t argue that those who volunteer or run for office are doing a needed service and I personally never said I don’t appreciate them, but we as tax payers have a voice as well.

41. K. Holmes says:

My last reply was aimed at Mr Owens, not Mr. Florshiem. I apologize it there was any confusuon.

I did you one better, Kimberly. An audio recording of Henry’s presentation is available on another post on the blog. I appreciate the enthusiasm!

43. Pingback: CAVEman: Part two | Between Editions

44. Keith Owens says:

We’ve got way too many opinions in this town and not enough action is the point that I was trying to make. You can talk a thing to death – we need people who are willing to get up off the couch, put down the remote, dust off the Cheetos crumbs and go to work!!

45. Ana Nimmus says:

“unemployment down to 8.4 percent from 12.4 percent in 2010?

The 12.3 number in January 2010 was some kind of fluke that had just occurred and was resolved in two months. The 600 new jobs are a temporary seasonal phenomenon that occurs every spring and vanishes the next fall.

46. Edward says:

By the way, the middle and upper class do their parts as tax paying citizens as well. And most of them (not all, but most) pay more than the common folks.

47. Suzzie Que says:

K. Holmes, settle down, settle down… It seems you are the only one getting your “feathers all prissy”… From what I have read, it seems that Henry Florsheim is just trying to help our town and is open to your ideas and willing to discuss them with you further. I think his comment about the CAVEman (Citizens Against Virtually Everything) was made for this specific situation… No matter what is going on to improve the city there are just some people you can’t please. Nothing is going to happen over night but as long as there are people trying to make things better and there are plans in place to follow through with them we will see improvement. So be patient and be greatful for all the good things that we are blessed to have here in El Dorado.

48. DH_53 says:

Reading some of these comments,i can see good and bad in all. Keith Owens needs to get a grip and quit bashing every person that doesnt agree with his way of thinking. I wonder if he would have the same attitude if his wife wasnt a store owner on the square? The reason we will NEVER be a Branson is Branson is in the foothills of Missouri which has beautiful Table Rock lake to draw visitors to. Last i checked we had Calion Lake near by. Not what i would call a Tourist draw. Getting tbe gateways cleaned up is a big hit but not doing what was said about the City Parks is a big no no.. Reasearch what was said on how much each Park would get from the EED and you will find a huge descrepancy in what we are doing with out tax dollars!!

49. Suzzie Que says:

slow refresh rate…sorry! I didn’t see all the above comments until my last comment posted… I just think alot of people with a positive outlook on things that are willing to come together to make a difference can get alot more accomplished than alot of people standing around complaining about it.

50. Keith Owens says:

DH_53 – I never said that I wanted us to be Branson! I was using Branson as an example of a town that at one point decided to be more than just a little hillbilly town in the middle of nowhere in the Ozark Mountains. If they had the attitudes of a lot people around here, then there would be no theaters or other tourist attractions there because they would still be talking about them instead of building them!! You are correct about the beautiful scenery and the lake, but, believe me, people go for the shows – not to look at the lake! And yes, I would still have the same attitude towards our lovely downtown even if my wife and I did not own a business there!