In 2008 when Huttig’s elementary school students were forced to join their counterparts in Strong, the door firmly slammed on what was formerly the Huttig School District.
The consolidation marked the beginning of the end and was followed closely by the closure of the high school in 2006, according to News-Times archives. Later that year, the district’s seventh and eighth graders followed. The final nail in the coffin was the decision to close the elementary school and send the remaining 67 students to Gardener-Strong Elementary School for the 2008-2009 school year.
Now, though the edifice still stands and a sign proudly thanks the community for the memories from 1928-2008, the former promise of education within is in utter ruin.
Photos by Allison Gatlin.