My public challenge to Huttig Mayor Tony Cole

Huttig Mayor Tony Cole is lashing out against the News-Times with a threat against me in a handwritten letter delivered today that alleges I am involved in the goings on in Huttig.

Because I have nothing to hide and would like to keep the air as clean as possible, I’m going to share the letter with blog readers.

The letter begins with an inquiry from City Clerk Becky Mathews who asks if she is allowed to send the taped meeting minutes to me, per my monthly request. He has since informed her she needs to receive his permission before releasing any information.

Cole writes, “Yes, please do and let her know we now, know her roll (sic) in all this mess she has written. if (sic) it continue (sic) I will expose everything about who she is and how she is connected to this whole case.”

Cole has not returned another call for comment as of 12:40 p.m. Wednesday.

Let me tell you guys about me, for those who don’t know. I’m a 24-year-old reporter and blog manager for the News-Times. I’ve worked for the newspaper since October 2010 when I moved to El Dorado from Sierra Vista, Ariz., where I was an intern for the Sierra Vista Herald and a coach for Desert Thunder Gymnastics. I grew up in Glendale, Ariz., with two amazing role models โ€” my absolutely amazing, wonderful, inspiring parents who are still married after nearly 25 years โ€” and my younger sister. I graduated from Arizona State University in May 2010 with degrees in Journalism and Spanish.

My move to El Dorado was my first visit to Arkansas and prior to my transfer I’d never heard of Huttig. I have no familial ties to the state and the friends I’ve made here predominantly live in El Dorado โ€” to my knowledge not a one lives in Huttig.

And so here’s my public challenge to Cole: Please, expose all you know about me. Please tell everyone how I’m supposedly connected to Huttig. Please bash my name to your heart’s content. Please let the threats keep coming. Just know that all you’re doing is adding fuel to my already raging fire.

This entry was posted in By Allison Gatlin, General, Huttig, Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to My public challenge to Huttig Mayor Tony Cole

1. James says:

You’re a Yankee. That’s all it takes to be guilty.

I’m from the southwest… it’s close.

3. Sara says:

Huttig is so full of problems, and now the mayor seems to be hallucinating. The town probably needs to be taken over by Strong!!!

What an idiot. Hasn’t he ever heard you never start a fight with people that buy ink by the barrel and paper by the ton?

5. Me says:

The guilty dog Always barks first…what is he tring to hide?

6. bystander says:

The whole situation is embarrassing for our town.

7. The Lone Reader says:

Is mayor Cole up for reelection this year? And if so is anyone running against him. If not and you live in Huttig.

Officers Subject to Recall:

Mayor, member of board of directors, commissioners of suburban improvement districts (for the latter, a petition triggers a recall hearing, rather than an election)
    Key Steps in the Recall Process:

Recall may commence after 6 months in office.
    No specific grounds are required.
    No time limit for gathering signatures.
    Signature requirement for mayors and directors is number equal to 35% of ballots cast for all candidates for the office at the preceding primary at which the officials were nominated or elected; for commissioners of suburban improvement districts requirement is number equal to 25% of the owners of realty within the district.
    Read the code at Ark. Code ยง14-47-112, 14-48-114, 14-61-119, 14-92-209

No, Cole is not up for reelection this year. His term expires at the end of 2014.

9. Rubi says:

Never knew you were such a rabble rouser! Your castle is going to be stormed! “Bye the Bye,”…wierd term, I’ve googled your family and for the most part they’re from south of the Mason Dixon Line. Fought for both sides in the Civil War…must explain you and your sister. I haven’t found any secrets or dirt about you, I’d be interested if the Honorable Mayor is willing to fill us in?

10. Turn-about says:

MAYBE, someone should expose Mr. Cole. MAYBE someone should do some investigative journalism and reveal why he was released as a Huttig Police officer. Maybe someone should reveal why he was fired from his position as Strong Police Chief. Maybe someone should reveal how the stories he tells about his past are glamorous lies. Maybe someone should ask how he serves as Mayor and his wife as a city council member, assuming they’re still married of course.

Good for you, Allison! :)

12. Pingback: Huttig mayor elaborates on frustration with News-Times | Between Editions

13. your kinfolk says:

all this stuff about tony cole just came about when he became police chief in strong and the good ole boys and gals just didn’t want a black man as chief .he quit so he could run for mayor and the backlash of him becoming mayor has been people starting a whole bunch of mess.alot of the white and some black residents are mad because they didn’t get elected,so what’s the next thing to do is bad mouth the man who is trying to help the town.the previous mayore since i’ve been born haven’t done nothing for the town and they were all white.before mr.cole became mayor the last mayor let the school get closed down and the others years earlier haven’t tried to reopen the plywood plant like they said they would back in 1989-90.he has plans to bring jobs and afforable housing to huttig ,but when you have people that are trying to better the community thes are the type of problems you end up with.