“Country lawyer” aims for state supreme court

A Bible-quoting appeals court judge who calls himself a “country lawyer” will attempt to make the jump to the Arkansas Supreme Court.

Judge Raymond Abramson of Holly Grove, 60, announced his candidacy in a new conference last night during which he said he will run for the soon to open seat held by Justice Jim Gunter, who is not seeking reelection, according to Arkansas News.

“The Book of Isaiah, Chapter 1, Verse 18, perfectly describes my work on the Court of Appeals: ‘Come now, let us reason together,’” he said during the announcement.

This entry was posted in By Allison Gatlin, News, Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to “Country lawyer” aims for state supreme court

That’s just what we need. A bible quoting State Supreme Court Judge. What could possibly go wrong.

2. James says:

You didn’t even bother reading what he quoted, did you? That whole “love one another” thing gets in the way of all the hate and anger, doesn’t it? :P

Sure I did. But I also have no problem with the 10 Commandments. But once judges start hanging them on the walls it cost the state money when the ACLU sues.

4. James says:

I guess you also believe our founding fathers really screwed things up by using the Bible as a point of reference. That whole Bill of Rights and that Constitution thing are such a mess! I wonder if anyone ever said to Jefferson, “The Bible? You’re kidding, right?” If you ever do end up in court and have to face a judge, I hope that he is one that does believe in reason and fairness. I would be surprised if you didn’t want one like that.

Allison missed something here though. The entire verse reads: “Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.”
    It almost sounds like he would just acquit everyone who showed remorse for their crimes. Yes I know that’s twisting things a bit, but that’s whats in fashion today. :)

Oh I know the entire verse, BUT Abramson didn’t use it. He just used the portion I included. I would hope he’s fair and balanced, I would also hope that his beliefs don’t cloud his judgement should he be elected to the state supreme court.

6. Mark B says:

It is rather interesting to me that people who want fairness and judgment seem to be the first to want to ban a significant moral teaching (the Bible) from having any influence at all on that judgment. Give me judgment and fairness but don’t use your moral beliefs at all to guide judgment.

It’s a fine line and I think you really need to be careful when using religious beliefs to guide Supreme Court decisions. How would Roe v. Wade have turned out if every U.S. Supreme Court justice ruled in favor of their moral beliefs? Personally, I believe abortion is morally wrong and would not receive one myself. That being said, I don’t believe a woman, or anyone for that matter, should be denied the right to do what she wants with her body.

When the decision is a matter between a right and a moral belief, there’s a fine line. The Constitution may have been written with the Bible as a guideline, but that doesn’t mean our social rights are always based in the same manner. Whether social rights should be religiously legislated, is a completely different discussion and will probably fall heavily along bipartisan lines as well as toe the state/church separation mandate.