Hope everyone’s got their eyes on TV

President Obama is minutes away from making a last-minute national security announcement. Political pundits persist in calling the Sunday night emergency announcement “extraordinary,” and though I regularly disagree with the talking heads, in this case, I think “extraordinary” is most likely the perfect word.

Stay tuned.

UPDATE: CNN, The New York Times and The Washington Post are all reporting that Osama Bin Laden is dead. Do you remember where you were when you first heard that name? How about what you were doing when you heard the towers were crashing? Where are you now, 10 years later, hearing that Obama Osama Bin Laden is dead?

UPDATE II (10:10 p.m.): Bin Laden was reportedly killed in a mansion just outside Islamabad by “actionable U.S. intelligence.” People are literally cheering in the streets in Washington D.C.

UPDATE III (10:50 p.m.): Within the announcement Obama first and last gave nod to those who lost family and friends on Sept. 11, 2001. He then informed the world that when he first came into office he gave the CIA the directive to capture or kill Bin Laden. Ten years later, today a week ago a small infantry of men targeted a compound in Pakistan where Bin Laden was believed to be hiding. After a brief firefight, Bin Laden was killed and taken into custody by the U.S. DNA testing confirmed the identity today.

It’s a night, Obama said (and I think we can all agree) many in the country have waited in painful anticipation for, for 10 years. As a 13-year-old waking up on Sept. 11, 2001, I remember blearily walking downstairs to find my dad readying to leave from work. “Go turn on a TV, kiddo, there’s history happening right now.” I sat wide-eyed on my parents’ bed with my sister and mom, watching as the first plane hit the World Trade Center.

Ten years later at 23, sitting on my couch, drinking a smoothie, I received the news of Obama’s announcement via Twitter and immediately texted my sister nearly the same words our dad said to me years ago, “Turn on the TV, kid. … This is a historical moment, you’re not going to want to miss it.” Her response, “I’m shocked.” I think we all are. But this is one of those moments, like Sept. 11, that years from now we’ll all recall where we were and what we were doing when we heard the news, Osama Bin Laden is dead.

This entry was posted in BREAKING NEWS, By Allison Gatlin, News, Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Hope everyone’s got their eyes on TV

Well said. You were 13 when 9/11 happened? Geesh- I feel old…

So does this mean that all of our military personnel in the three wars they are involved in will be coming home in the next few weeks, the Patriot Act will be repealed this week, and the TSA will be dismantled this month?

3. Edit says:

Might want to take a look at last sentence in UPDATE paragraph:

“Where are you now, 10 years later, hearing that Obama is dead?”

I am sure you meant Osama and not Obama.

4. Keith Owens says:

Ken, just because Osama is dead doesn’t mean we are safe now! In fact, we are probably in more danger than ever of retaliation from Bin Laden loyalists!

Oh goodness, I just saw that. Worst. Mistake. Ever. Thanks!

Don’t feel bad about the error Allison. I seem to remember there was a county somewhere during the election that made the reverse of that mistake.

I agree Keith. You can bet that retaliatory attacks will happen. I’m surprised more than anything that the operation, reportedly last Monday, has been kept secret this long. Wonder how long until a video showing Osama is alive surfaces? …that it was his brother… that it was his stunt double… that it was his son… or another close family member that would have the same DNA markers that Osama had. Regardless of this all I have to say is NAVY SEAL TEAM SIX has completed one of the most important operations in our lifetime, and for that I am thankful.

So, even after this, we will never have our liberty and U.S. constitution restored to us? How sad for us all.

Good article on going forward: http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=13067

That’s an amazing article, Ken, thank you for bringing it to the conversation. The most moving line in the piece to me described perfectly the last 10 years, we may have experienced the dread and terror on Sept. 11, 2001, and since then lived with the losses incurred, but the victory announced yesterday is one the nation needed: “America needs this moment. With three wars, a sluggish economy, and continued partisan rearranging of the budgetary deck chairs, a bit of good news may give the country a renewed sense of focus.”

I cannot and will not celebrate the death of a human being, despite the atrocities he spearheaded, death is never something in itself to be celebrated. However, the symbolic (albeit slow) dismantling of an organization that caused such heartache in our nation is something to be joyous about. Now, like Keith Owens and AFM, I wait for the almost guaranteed retaliation.

Regardless, I’m proud of our nation and hope to see some of that “change” we were promised in 2008 — maybe starting with re-prioritized spending and directive for national security, as the CATO article suggests. But I don’t for a second believe the troops will be home, the TSA will get the boot or the Patriot Act will suddenly be repealed; nothing in our government moves that quickly.

And yes, AFM, I was 13 on Sept. 11, 2001; I’m considered one of the “newsroom babies.”

UPDATE Also, in case anyone’s interested: GOPers react the news.

11. James says:

Before you wish that the Patriot Act would be repealed you need to understand it’s purpose, something most people don’t know because of the utter failure of our media to tell everyone. One of them was to remove the barriers Clinton erected between Federal law enforcement agencies that prevented them from sharing information and working together. The Patriot Act allowed them to act more efficiently which helps keep everyone safe. The provisions of the Act that were “bad” or possibly unconstitutional were repealed long ago. Most people don’t know that though because the media doesn’t backpedal their propaganda and can’t suddenly admit that the Act wasn’t all bad in the first place.

Bin Laden has also been irrelevant for a number of years. He’s too isolated to be a threat to anyone. He was replaced long ago by other leaders who were far more anonymous and more effective in leading terror operations. Killing Bin Laden is good for justice and patriotism, but it doesn’t really do much at all for our overall safety. Regardless, good riddance Bin Laden. I hope the virgins you get are of the swine variety.

The worse parts of the Patriot Act have not been revealed. Attempts have been made but they have, unfortunately, not succeeded.

That should be “repealed, not “revealed”.

14. James says:

Which parts are those? There are some that are a little troubling, but not nearly as much as the ones that were removed a long time ago. You can use this site to find the sections that concern you.

Also keep in mind that when Congress extends the Patriot Act, they only extend parts of it so you have to keep track of which parts have been extended and which have been left to expire.