Libertarian addition nears a 2012 vote

Brought to my attention by Blog Commentator Ken Hamilton, it looks like an initiative to add the Libertarian Party of Arkansas to the ballot will be headed toward a people’s vote in 2012.

So far 13,552 signatures have been gathered of their 15,000 goal — though only 10,000 are needed, it’s better to be safe than sorry should some signatures turn out to be invalid.

This entry was posted in By Allison Gatlin, News, Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Libertarian addition nears a 2012 vote

I wouldn’t have a problem with the Libertarian Party if they would have the good sense to spend their time and limited resources in trying to get people into congress on first the state then federal level before they try to get people elected President.

Two problems with their attempts to get someone into the top office first are (A) They have very little chance of actually doing it and they end up bleeding votes from the party they are closest to siding with and (B) if by some freak accident they did get someone elected President he would be a lame duck from day one with no support in Congress.

The same goes for any third party but the Libertarian Party just happens to hurt my side more. And the third parties have been having an effect of several of the last Presidential elections. Clinton wouldn’t have been elected had Perot not been in the race. Of course Gore would have one had Nader not been running as well so it does balance out somewhat.

It is not correct that the Libertarian Party only concentrates on trying to win the presidency. There are currently 165 Libertarians elected locally – see list here:

I do not buy the argument that voting Libertarian takes a vote away from one of the major big government parties.

It will be nice to have pro-limited government, pro-constitution candidates to vote for in 2012 with Libertarians on the ballot for something other than president as it has been in Arkansas for over thirty years due to state ballot restrictions instituted by the two major parties.

For more info on the state party, check out http://www.lpar.org. For the national party, check out http://www.lp.org.

By the way, Ron Paul has been a member of the U.S House for years and is a libertarian philosophically and even ran as the Libertarian Party presidential candidate in 1988.

His son, Rand, is a libertarian philosophically and is a U.S. Senator from Kentucky.

And Gary Johnson is also a libertarian philosophically and served two terms as the governor of New Mexico.

Oh, I forgot to add – thank you, Allison, for posting this. :)

You’re welcome, Ken. I’m always looking for blog content so if anyone spots anything related to Arkansas, I’ll consider posting it. (And if it wasn’t already obvious, I have a soft spot for political news.)

7. Keith Owens says:

Allison – There is one more candidate you need to add to the poll – Herman Cain. I watched a little bit of the debate last night and was thoroughly impressed with him. I went to the net and looked him up and was even more impressed. You should take a look for yourself and let me know what you think.

He’s a quick one, that much I can tell from the reading I’ve been doing about him — he always has a witty comeback to make. Cain has some interesting ideas, on a personal level I agree with some and others I don’t. Although I suppose that’s the beauty of politics nowadays, there’s never going to be one candidate anyone can agree with completely 100 percent.

But I agree with you, he’s one to look out for. (And I love that he was a newspaper columnist.)